The Novak Center Arts in Healthcare Program offers a variety of interactive arts experiences focused on creating an inspiring and uplifting environment, while providing avenues of expression that facilitate communication, provide cultural connections, and enhance engagement between patients, families, caregivers, and communities.
We invite you to join us for one of our monthly arts opportunities that take place in the 1st and 3rd floor lobbies of the Novak Center for Children’s Health. Most activities are appropriate for children and adults of all ages, unless otherwise specified. Dates and times will vary so please sign up to receive details on upcoming events and activities.
- Guest musicians: including a pianist and members of the Louisville Orchestra, will play in the 1st and 3rd floor lobbies on select days in May and June.
- Ferdinand the Bull – Squallis Puppeteers: Squallis Puppeteers partnered with 91.9 WFPK’s education program to create this musical performance and suitcase puppet show based on the children’s book “The Story of Ferdinand” by Munro Leaf. Performers include; master violinist Sara Calloway and Squallis Puppeteer’s Shawn Hennessey.
- Based on the book, “The Tale of the Tricky Fox,” this charming suite case puppet show brings literacy alive for children and adults of all ages.
- Storytime Dance – Louisville Ballet School: Storytime Dance engages young students in movement through literacy and language arts. Participants explore characters and themes while learning dance vocabulary, developing kinesthetic awareness, and experiencing how dance is a form of non-verbal communication.
- Sock Puppet Workshop – Squallis Puppeteers: Children can get crazy creative designing their own puppet characters out of recycled materials and fabric scraps. Puppetry combines theater and visual arts and, in this workshop, after a small introduction with instructions, participants create characters! Every child will leave with their own unique character.
- Sock Puppet Workshop- Squallis Puppeteers: Children can get crazy creative designing their own puppet characters out of recycled materials and fabric scraps. puppetry combines theater and visual arts and, in this workshop, after a small introduction with instructions, participants create characters! Every child will leave with their own unique character.
- STORYTELLERS! – StageOne Family Theatre: This program takes your favorite children’s books and brings them to life through interaction and lots of imagination! Utilizing minimal props and costumes, and audience participation these stories provide memorable experiences for the young reader!
- Art Buffet – Louisville Visual Art: This workshop showcases a buffet of experimental mixed-media art gluttony that will keep participants mentally energized long after they leave!
- Hip-Hop Shakespeare – KY Shakespeare: This is an exciting opportunity for participants to explore Shakespeare’s sonnets and verse alongside contemporary music to discover rhythm, poetry, and language. This activity is recommended for grades 4th – 12th.
- Art Detectives – Speed Art Museum: Art Detectives is a dynamic, hands-on experience that gets students observing, analyzing, and collaborating as they explore works of art from the Speed’s education collection.
Back to Homepage